The great game has inspired more than its share of unforgettable and frustrating moments. Golf is a game that inspires strong feelings; you either love it or hate it. For most of us who have ever picked up a club and pursued that little white ball across a fairway, it’s an instant love affair. No matter how many times that little ball breaks our heart, we can’t wait to get out there and continue the pursuit once again. Why? Because every once in a while, with one swing of our trusty club, we manage to make pure music with the little white ball. Like most love affairs, golf has inspired more than its fair share of words written in celebration, sometimes in lament, of the one that got away. Here, we share 50 famous golf quotes for the ages from everyone from golf legends to comedians.
Funny Golf Quotes
- My handicap? Woods and irons. – Chris Codiroli
- If you think it’s hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball. – Jack Lemmon
- I know I am getting better at golf because I’m hitting fewer spectators. – President Gerald Ford
- Golf’s three ugliest words: Still your shot. – Dave Marr
Two by Mark Twain
- It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.
- Golf is a good walk spoiled.
More Thought-Provoking and Funny Golf Sayings
- It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course. – Hank Aaron
- I do much of my creative thinking while golfing. If people know you’re working at home they think nothing of walking in for a cup of coffee, but wouldn’t dream of interrupting on the golf course. – Harper Lee
- The reason the pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can’t see him laughing. – Phyllis Diller
- I guess there is nothing that will get your mind off everything like golf. I have never been depressed enough to take up the game, but they say you get so sore at yourself you forget to hate your enemies. – Will Rogers
- A typical day in the life of a heavy metal musician consists of a round of golf and an AA meeting. – Billy Joel
- I’d play every day if I could. It’s cheaper than a shrink and there are no telephones on my golf cart. – Brent Musburger
- Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose. – Winston Churchill
- Golf is a fascinating game. It has taken me nearly 40 years to discover that I can’t play it. – Ted Ray
- I’ve spent most of my life golfing – the rest I’ve just wasted. – Unknown
- The only time my prayers are never answered is on the golf course. – Rev. Billy Graham
Inspirational Golf Quotes
- Golf without bunkers and hazards would be tame and monotonous. So would life. – BC Forbes
- Golf… is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well. – PG Wodehouse
- To find a man’s true character, play golf with him. – PG Wodehouse
Famous Golf Quotes from the Legends
- Concentration comes out of a combination of confidence and hunger.
- Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.
- What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
- If you’re caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.
- There is no such thing as a natural touch. touch is something you create by hitting millions of golf balls.
- There are two things you can do with your head down — play golf and pray.
- The more I practice, the luckier I get.
- You must work very hard to become a natural golfer.
- If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they’d starve to death.
- Forget your opponents; always play against par.
- It will always be the ball and me.
- Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case.
- I always like to see a person stand up to a golf ball as though he were perfectly at home in its presence.
- It is nothing new or original to say that golf is played one stroke at a time. But it took me many years to realize it.
- Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears. – Bobby Jones
- Don’t be too proud to take a lesson. I’m not.
- A kid grows up a lot faster on the golf course. Golf teaches you how to behave.
- Professional golf is the only sport where, if you win 20 percent of the time, you’re the best.
- When you lip out several putts in a row, you should never think that means that you’re putting well. When you’re putting well, the only question is what part of the hole it’s going to fall in, not if it’s going in.
- When I want a long ball, I spin my hips faster.
- I never played a round when I didn’t learn something new about the game.
- I have found the game to be, in all factualness, a universal language wherever I traveled at home or abroad.
Short Game Golf Quotes
- Drive for show, but putt for dough. – Bobby Locke
- The better you putt, the bolder you play. – Don January
- A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one. – Ben Sayers
- When I play my best golf, I feel as if I’m in a fog, standing back watching the earth in orbit with a golf club in my hands. – Mickey Wright
- A “gimme” can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers, neither of whom can putt very well. – Unknown
- Golf is golf. You hit the ball, you go find it. Then you hit it again. – Lon Hinkle
Golf Sayings Short and Sweet
- Few learn golf in a lifetime. – Grantland Rice
- Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject. – David Forgan
- Go play golf. Go to the golf course. Hit the ball. Find the ball. Repeat until the ball is in the hole. Have fun. The end. – Chuck Hogan
There you have them – 50 famous golf quotes for the ages. Think of them the next time you’re standing in a sand bunker or daydreaming in a meeting wishing you were on the course. Here, you have inspiring golf quotes, funny golf sayings, and words to keep you thinking and smiling about the greatest game – golf.